I've kind of developed a routine. I've discovered that I don't mind standing on the bus, but the back is hot and vibrates my teeth out. I've found a place for a chocolate croissant (I tried to call it pan con chocolate because that makes sense to me, being a direct translation from French...but no, it is called a Napolitana, which is something altogether different in France. But I digress...)and coffee. The coffee I like best is called "cafe cortado" and is an expresso with just a little milk and a tablespoon of sugar! It would be hard not to like that, I think.
I've gotten more used to which number bus to take, how to cut through the air conditioned supermarket and where are the closest bus stops. I know pretty much when the crosswalk light will be green and how long, and if I have time to make it across the road before the latest Ford Fiesta knocks me over. (BTW, they have smart cars here. They look like they do at home, but smaller. More like a roller skate you'd use on your doll than an actual vehicle. Even the Vespas are bigger! I'd be afraid someone would pick up my car and move it as a practical joke. Maybe they need to develop bike chains for Smart Cars...)
I had a moment this afternoon as I was wandering "El Carmen" district. I was walking and taking pictures. And, I suddenly realized, "I'm here. Wandering the streets of an incredibly old town." I know it sounds rather trite, but it really was a surreal moment.
| bathing accoutrements |
| roof of the bathing chambers. those round globes are the skylights seen in the other photos |
| the oldest original piece of the floor |
Even though these baths were created when the area was already under Christian rule, the structure of these baths was based on the Romanic hot/cold/temperate rooms, with skin being scraped then massaged with oil. These baths further demonstrate the Islamic improvements in the quality and efficiency of the construction. The fact that they existed at all, with soap, is proof positive of the enduring influence of Islamic society.
I love the pics and know exactly what you mean by the surreality you mentioned. Indeed, it is one of the central reasons I fell in love with Dame History. Glad you are "finding your Spanish legs," Baby Girl. I love you lots and am enjoying the "experience" along with you, even if it from a great distance. Te extraño mucho, pero seguir escribiendo los mensajes!
ReplyDelete